Tuesday, July 12, 2016

3rd coat on side panel #2 and starting to shape centerboard

I put the 3rd coat on SidePanel #2 tonight after work. I will let it cure for a few days before starting to sand. Side Panel #1 should be fully cured by Thursday, so I can start sanding it then. It should be fine to move tomorrow to free up space on the 2 - 8' folding tables I am using as work benches. Below is the finished product.




I do wish I had a bigger garage to build PocketShip in, but it will have to do. I probably could get more accomplished quicker, but work table space is at a premium. I can only work on one long piece at a time. Next up will be to glue the 2 Topside Panel puzzle joints. Since they are not as wide, I can do them both at the same time then fiberglass at the same time as well.

Centerboard Shaping

I started to work on shaping the centerboard. I was thinking about buying a hand grinder, but I am not sure I will need it. I started to shape the edges using a block plane and a rasp I got from CLC. I didn't get too far, because of the heat and I didn't want to get saw dust all over the newly epoxied Side Panel #2.  I couldn't move outside, since they are calling for thunderstorms, so I just called it the evening.

The plane and rasp look like they will do the job and I have a lot more control over hand tools rather than power tools. I have a spent a lot of time on the centerboard and don't want to mess it up, so I may continue with hand tools to shape it. It may take more time like I said, but I think it is a safer route. You can see the pile of shavings on the floor and that took about 10 minutes in the picture below. The rasp is also good for getting globes of dried epoxy off. I would definitely recommend one in your tool bag.




No comments:

Post a Comment