Saturday, July 23, 2016

Sanding Side Panels and Building Cradle

I got a lot completed yesterday and this morning before the heat got to me. We have had heat indexes over 100 degrees, so it was pretty warm in the garage. I got side panel #2 glued yesterday and I sanded both this morning. What a job!!!  They turned out ok, but I would have like to have them better.

Looking back at the puzzle joints, I would have done them a little differently. One thing I would do is use something different than the plastic folding tables. They work good for sanding and coating, but when you need a lot of pressure to force the puzzle joints together, I think you need a sturdy/solid surface. Maybe do them on the cement floor.

One thing I did on this last side panels is to use blue painters tape and tape around the joint. This helped to control the cleanup. Wish I would have thought of this before the last one! :-)  I forgot to take a picture of the tape applied, but you can get the idea with the picture below. I used 2 pieces on both sides.  You can't leave them on or they will be glued to the panels. I removed them before applying the solid board and weights.


Puzzle Joint with blue painters tape. 


Another tool I would recommend and I may have already is the cabinet scrapers. They work good to clean up the excess epoxy. 

Cabinet Scraper to clean up epoxy.
I am getting close to putting everything together, so I decided to work on the cradles. I did have a question on the length of board between the cradles, so I am going to post something on the PocketShip.net forum. 

I am also thinking about how to put wheels on the cradles, so I can move the boat around in the garage. I will come up with something.

Below is the 2 cradles I have attached.  




No comments:

Post a Comment