Tuesday, July 19, 2016

3rd Coat Topside Panels and More Sanding

I am trying to plan multiple tasks in a evening, so I can take advantage of the space and the temperatures that I am working in. I lucked out this afternoon with a thunderstorm that came through. It dropped the temperature about 15 degrees, which made the garage much more comfortable to do any work in. It was nice not dripping all over my work! :-)

Tonight I sanded Side Panel # 2, so I am good to go with them. I am learning that sanding less is more or better. Basically the procedure I am doing is as follows.
1) Using the orbital sander with 120 grit, I go over the entire piece once.
2) I then use a sanding block with 120 grit and again go over the entire piece.
3) Using the orbital sander with 120 grit, I go over the entire piece again. This picks up the dust from step #2 as well as defines the finish more. Any spots during this step, I will take the sanding block and fix them.

There is probably a lot of ways to sand, but this is working for me. I think using the hand sanding is more work, but I definitely have more control.


This is after Step #2 hand sander. 

The top part is final. The bottom part is after Step #1 


3rd Coat on Side Panel. 
I am using this blog to share my experience, but I am also using it to help me remember where I am at in specific tasks. It was a couple days ago that I put the 2nd Coat on the Topside panels. MAS Epoxy states "If more than 12 hours passes between coats, do a light scuff sand."

So following the recommendation, I did a light scuff sand on both of the topside panels. I then cleaned up both panels before putting on the 3rd coat.


Next up:  glueing the bottom panel puzzle joints and doing some cleanup sanding on the keel and couple bulkheads. I still need to work on the centerboard, but I am not rushing that.







No comments:

Post a Comment