Friday, July 1, 2016

Getting Back To Work!

After being away last weekend, work has taken my priority this week.  Today was the first day I had to work on the boat. I was able to get off early after lunch and worked out in the garage doing a few different things. I spent a lot of time sanding the bulkheads and floor supports. I have floor support #7 left to coat with epoxy. I put one coat on one side today. I also put another coat on floor support #8. I am still having an issue with sanding too much using the orbital sander. I am trying to get a handle on this. It doesn't take much to sand through to the plywood. I did try a new method today. I used 80 grit on the sander to get the high places and then used a sanding block with 120 grit to fine tune the sanding.  The hand sanding definitely gives you more control, but harder on the arms!

No pictures of the completed floor supports and bulkheads. I finished sanding and then wiped them off with a damp rag and moved them inside to my office to store them until I am ready to put things together.

One thing I would recommend is the sandpaper rolls that CLC Boats sells. I bought 3 rolls on a deal they had late last year. I have a roll of 80, 120 and 220 grit. I am starting to use them a lot. I also got a
foam sanding block. The grip is very comfortable to use and easy on the hands. I used a old curtain rod extension with holders. Made a good sandpaper holder!


Sandpaper Rolls from CLC Boats

Foam Sanding Block
I also glued the cleat to bulkhead #2 and put a coat of epoxy onto floor support #7. Take your time and make sure you are glueing it on the right side.

Floor Support #7

Bulkhead #2 sanded and bow cleat glued.

I plan on working on the boat a lot this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment