Sunday, July 3, 2016

Centerboard Leading Edge and Side Panel Epoxying


Project #1
Today I got a lot of different things done. I put another coat on floor support #7. I will need to let it cure and then sand it along with some of the other bulkheads/floor supports that are curing as well.  I also cut the extra cleats hanging off the edge of bulkhead #2 that I just glued.  Again I need to let it cure and then sand.



I used a Japanese saw I purchased from CLCBoats. It is very useful for fine cutting needs. 


Project #2

I started to work on the centerboard. I cut the leading and trailing edges of the centerboard on my table saw. That took me a little while, but everything turned out ok. 


Picture of rabbet cut in the leading and trailing edges of the CenterBoard. 

Getting ready to pour thickened epoxy with cabosil.


I needed a means to hold the epoxy in while pouring it into the leading edge of the centerboard. I came up with the idea of using a wood shim and wrapping it with plastic, so it would not be glued itself. This worked pretty good, but I did manage to make somewhat of a mess. I had the bright idea to not thicken the epoxy with cabosil a lot, so it would pour easier. Bad idea!! It poured real fine! All over the place.


When I do the trailing edge, I am going to thicken it up more and use a scrapper to force it down into the rabbet. My problem may have been that the trailing edge is sort of in an oval shape, so it was hard to keep the epoxy from running all over the place. On the trailing edge, it will be flat, so it may be easier. I also used packing tape to hold it in. You can barely see it in the picture. This helped, but don't let is cure.

 
Centerboard with trailing edge filled with epoxy.



Project #3

I started to epoxy the puzzle joint on one of the side panels. I put plenty of thickened epoxy on the joint, but I think I will have a little issue to deal with. The puzzle joint was very, very tight. When I went to put it together, some of the fingers didn't look like they went together completely. I tried putting pressure on them and also used a piece of scrap wood and a rubber hammer trying to force it. I just looked at them and I will have to fill some low points and sand off some of the high points. I don't think it is enough that I would have to scrap it, but enough to not make it smooth. I may find out differently when I go to sand it. For the other puzzle joints, I am going to sand them slightly to make sure they go together easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment