Sunday, July 10, 2016

Continue Fiberglassing the Side Panels and working on Centerboard

I finished up Side Panel #1 today. Yesterday I put the final coat of epoxy on it and this morning I cut the extra fiberglass off the edges and used a plane to even up the edges and planed off the glass, so I won't cut myself.

In preparation for fiberglassing Side Panel #2 today, I brought the fiberglass roll into my office and rolled it out on the floor to length. I then cut it in about half. One half will be used for Side Panel #2 and the other half for Topside panels.


Fiberglass rolled out and cut. 




The picture above is the end result. 2 for the Topside Panels and 1 for the Side Panel #2.

This morning I started to fiberglass Side Panel #2.  For some reason it seemed like I used a lot more epoxy. I didn't overcoat. I used enough to wet it out and barely fill the weave. It must be me thinking too much!



Bulkhead #7 

Since I forgot to glue the cleat on Bulkhead #7, I did that yesterday.  I used clamps where I could and then free weights where the clamps would not work.



Since I am doing multiple different projects and you have to wait until the epoxy cures to go to the next step, I have started to use some index cards and office clips. When I do a coat of epoxy, I will write the date and clip it to the piece.  That way I don't have to guess when I did something. I also use a notebook and note the different coats of epoxy. When I do coat's, 1,2 and 3 for each part.





Centerboard

After I poured the lead on the centerboard, there was a slight void on one side where I did not fill all the way level. On the other side, there were bubbles that needed to be filled. Both sides will be sanded level in preparation for fiberglassing. For both sides I used thickened epoxy with cabosil.
Below are pictures of both sides. Once they have cured I will begin shaping the centerboard and then fiberglass.  Notice the level and door shims I used to level my portable work bench. I have found that the door shims come in handy for a lot of different things.  Be sure to level your workspace or you will have epoxy running all over.






No comments:

Post a Comment